Skip to main content

Mom's Eulogy

I wrote a eulogy for mom and read it at her service. I love and miss you, mom:

They say a person’s greatest strength is often also their greatest weakness. I believe mom’s greatest strength was her generosity and selflessness. Mom’s focus was always on her family and their welfare, not on herself.

As a wife, mom was second to none. She wanted nothing more than my dad’s success and happiness. Mom’s happiness was my dad’s happiness. When I was a child I remember my dad coming home from work and they would lie on the bed and talk for hours about my dad’s day. My dad’s happiness meant the world to mom. And I enjoyed watching it because it made my mom smile.

Mom also put her children before herself. Mom’s favorite holiday was Christmas. She loved everything about it. She created traditions I cherish to this day. I always got so excited for the elves to come, to open a day on the advent calendar, or to eat Schnitzel and Pommes Frits. When the day finally arrived I was so excited to wake up and run downstairs to see everything that Santa brought. Everything had to be perfect for that one day, it had to be just right. Kelly and I would light up and scream with joy. She truly brought the meaning of Christmas, the spirit of giving, to us all. As we lit up with excitement and joy, so did mom. She wanted us to have more presents than anyone ever saw. She even went as far as wrapping socks individually. Thanks for wrapping everything, mom. Thanks for the memories mom, I cherish them and the footy pajamas. Once again, mom’s happiness was her children’s happiness.

When Megan was born and Kelly moved to Hawaii, my mom was so happy. She loved my sister so much and always wanted to protect her from harm. I knew my mom had wanted a closer connection with Kelly for years. She missed having Kelly close, so much. She wanted nothing more than to see Kelly happy.

One way mom could show her love to Kelly and I was through her motherly advice. Her motherly advice was her way of protecting her babies, and one again, putting her family before herself. Kelly and my happiness was my mom’s happiness.

When Megan came onto the scene, I got to see my mom shine. And that brought me immense happiness. Megan meant the world to my mother. She would do anything for her, bar none. She wanted nothing more for Megan than to have a rich life full of success, happiness and most of all, undying love. When I look into Megan’s eyes, I see a part of Tutu. When I hear Megan speak, I hear a part of Tutu. Megan’s successes, and there have been many, made Tutu so proud. When I would call mom she would talk endlessly about Megan’s latest accomplishments and activities and how much she loved her. Tutu’s happiness was Megan’s happiness.

In the end, mom’s dying wish, I know this to be true deep within me, was for her family to love one another, live life fully and without regret, and be happy. We owe this to her memory. It’s what she wanted more than anything in life. Today, mom we celebrate your life and your generosity. You live on in all of us. And if we ever stray we will always hear your motherly advice in our thoughts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hmmmm...

Well, it's been a bit since I wrote. So, I thought I would. I don't really pay that much attention to the news--it depresses me and I feel it is sensationalistic. It purposely focuses on all of the bad in humanity and seldom, especially now-a-days focuses on what is good in humanity. I guess it is all about ratings. I have been so out of the loop that even my wife knew something that I didn't. I didn't know that there was a recall on all the spinach in the U.S. I was at Wal-Mart (yes, that is another discussion altogether) and I was buying food. I was going to buy one of those bags of spinach. I don't know what brought me to want that, I usually buy it fresh, but anyway...I went up the counter and they said I couldn't buy it. I kept thinking....what am I going to snort this shit or what. It's spinach, let me buy it! Then my wife said, you didn't hear about the spinach recall? And I said "what spinach recall". Then she told me....T...

Update

Wow, has it been a long time since I wrote on this blog. I will write more often. Well, much has happened since the last time I wrote. Since that was years ago. Been very busy with life, etc... Osama Bin Laden was killed this past week. I am not happy that anyone ever is killed. I am a pacifist, so it goes against my beliefs. When Sept. 11th happened I have to say I wasn't surprised. I wondered if we would be attacked like that at some point. As a country we have exploited poorer, less developed countries for soo long, it was just a matter of time. I believe if it wasn't Bin Laden it would have been someone else eventually. I am not saying I believe what he did is right, I don't. What he did was cowardly and inexcusable, but not surprising. I was actually amazed by the surprise of people by the whole incident. The United States has learned alot from that experience. 1) We are not isolated in this world; 2) There are consequences for exploiting others; 3) The wo...