Skip to main content

Control Freak

I need to start writing more. This is a good way for me to keep track of my thoughts and feelings and dispute them if need be. Since starting on this new journey of self-discovery and recovery I have had alot of revelations about myself. I started going to an Adult Children of Alcoholics meeting because I thought it might help me feel more connected and help me sort out my own feeling and thoughts. I have been talking to my wife and realized that I am a total control freak. Not just a little controlling, but very controlling. So, controlling that I will purposely sabotage good things happening to me in order to stay in control. Doesn't make sense, right? I have recently realized that yelling, screaming, going into rages, not calling my parents, not completing assignments and tasks that need to be done is a way for me to control my environment. I thought I was feeling overwhelmed, but there isn't anything here that I cannot handle. I can do all of it and then some, but for some reason, I specifically chose not to. I feel stuck much of the time. Do I enjoy living in misery? Do I enjoy beating up on myself? I realized that if I don't call my parents, then I am in control. I am the one calling the shots--I am punishing them for being bad parents. As though they don't already know it. The only person I am hurting by not acknowledging my parents is me. I guess I thought that punishing them would get back at them, you know "show them" how terrible they are. Then, what this does is it makes my feelings fester even more about them and then I ruminate and ruminate about how bad things are--like "why haven't they called?" The very thing that I do to keep in control actually casues me to lose control. Go figure. When they don't call and I don't call I start ruminating about how bad things are, start feeling sorry for myself, and then I ruminate about losing control over my health, marriage, my relationship with my family, my career-- you name it. That then spirals out of control until I start having panic attacks, stomach problems, anxiety attacks, and can't seem to focus on anything else but the worry. I have started to think that I need to give myself permission to ruminate and worry--but only at certain times-like when I journal. That way it doesn't consume my entire day. I am losing out on so much with all of this worry.

When my marriage started feeling like it was on the rocks, what was my solution? Divorce. That way I, once again, have control. If things aren't exactly the way I want them to be, then I must rid myself of the people or situation. I don't want my marriage to end, not really. I am scared of myself. But I have a wonderful person in my life, and I want her to be there for the long run. I need to let go. I guess I thought if she wouldn't move to Columbus full time, she must not love me. She must only be thinking of herself. Yet, this is probably more what I am doing than what she is doing. I listened to too many people telling me negative things like it wouldn't work, or that she was selfish, or that she wasn't ever going to move. Almost insinuating that I was not in control. And I know myself--I can't let people think that I am out of control. Even if their advice is wrong. People have their own shit, and I need to realize that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hmmmm...

Well, it's been a bit since I wrote. So, I thought I would. I don't really pay that much attention to the news--it depresses me and I feel it is sensationalistic. It purposely focuses on all of the bad in humanity and seldom, especially now-a-days focuses on what is good in humanity. I guess it is all about ratings. I have been so out of the loop that even my wife knew something that I didn't. I didn't know that there was a recall on all the spinach in the U.S. I was at Wal-Mart (yes, that is another discussion altogether) and I was buying food. I was going to buy one of those bags of spinach. I don't know what brought me to want that, I usually buy it fresh, but anyway...I went up the counter and they said I couldn't buy it. I kept thinking....what am I going to snort this shit or what. It's spinach, let me buy it! Then my wife said, you didn't hear about the spinach recall? And I said "what spinach recall". Then she told me....T...

Update

Wow, has it been a long time since I wrote on this blog. I will write more often. Well, much has happened since the last time I wrote. Since that was years ago. Been very busy with life, etc... Osama Bin Laden was killed this past week. I am not happy that anyone ever is killed. I am a pacifist, so it goes against my beliefs. When Sept. 11th happened I have to say I wasn't surprised. I wondered if we would be attacked like that at some point. As a country we have exploited poorer, less developed countries for soo long, it was just a matter of time. I believe if it wasn't Bin Laden it would have been someone else eventually. I am not saying I believe what he did is right, I don't. What he did was cowardly and inexcusable, but not surprising. I was actually amazed by the surprise of people by the whole incident. The United States has learned alot from that experience. 1) We are not isolated in this world; 2) There are consequences for exploiting others; 3) The wo...